Each day is a new adventure

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Summer Vacation - Week #7 It's Getting Hot in Here

My last week of vacation turned out a little bit differently than I imagined!  On Wednesday evening it started getting very warm in our house.  Considering that we are days away from setting a heat record, we didn't get too concerned until it temp starting rising the later it got.  Tim woke me up in the middle of the night and it was 85 degrees in our house.  We realized that we needed to get the twins up and get to my mom's to cool down.  We spent all of Thursday at SueSue's house playing.  By Thursday evening we thought that the problem was solved so we packed up and came back home. 

Friday morning when I woke up, I immediately knew that the problem was not fixed, only worse.  I was already back up to 85 at 8:00 a.m.  The twins had a check-up with their doctor, so we quickly got ready and got out of the house.  After the doctor visit (I will give details below) we ate Japanese food at one of our favorite restaurants - TAKARA.  We then went to the house only to pack everything up again.  We spent most of the weekend at SueSue's and my very sweet brother-in-law got the new motor installed on Saturday evening.  He came over three nights in a row after working all day (14+ hours) in the sweltering heat - THANK YOU CRAIG!!!!!  My mom was in Abilene visiting my grandparents, but she kindly let us stay and make a BIG mess!!!  We packed up and headed home to a nicely air-conditioned house late Saturday evening.  Everytime I started to get frustrated with the heat, I would quickly think about people who don't have air conditioning and those that have no place to go when their AC goes out.  We were so fortunate to have a family member who got it fixed and a family member that opened her home to us.  Tim showed houses on Sunday so I spent my last day of freedom (haha) hanging out with the twins.  We had a great time!!!

The twins' check-ups went really well.  Brooklyn now weighs 25 lbs. (82nd percentile for 30 weekers) and is  31 inches tall (68th percentile for 30 weekers).  Tayden weighs 27 pounds (82nd percentile for 30 weekers) and is 30.5 inches tall (31st percentile for 30 weekers) - poor guy needs a growth spurt.  Dr. Hunt said that they both looked really great and have grown so well.  They got all of their 18th month vaccines and will not have to get any more vaccines until they are 4!!!  They will get flu shots, but nothing major for quite awhile!  She was very impressed with the variety of things they will eat, but did advise us to stop bottles completely.  We had cut down from 4 to 2 (1 morning and 1 evening).  The times we had tried to eliminate bottles before, we ended up giving in because they were not drinking enough from their sippy cups.  When we talked to Dr. Hunt about this she said that for a few days they wouldn't want to drink a lot, but that eventually they would start drinking more.  So when we returned home on Saturday evening, the twins had their final bottle.  It was a bittersweet moment!  It seems like it was just yesterday we were propping them up on their boppies and feeding them bottles every 2-3 hours.  Time has flown by!!!  On Friday night at my mom's both babies crawled up in my lap with their bottles and fell asleep - this has never happened!!!!  What a great memory of one of their last bottle feedings!  They have done really well with their sippy cups, but still don't drink as much milk as they did from bottles.  On Monday morning when I got up at 5:15 for my first day back they both woke up and started crying.  I tried to give them sippies and they both pushed them away.  They wanted nothing to do with them!  It was hard not to give in, but we stayed strong and they ended up falling back to sleep. 

Brooklyn is slowly starting to talk more and more.  She now says WOW, bye bye, hi, set, go, and a few other words.  She loves to climb on the couch and run away from her brother.  When she laughs she puts her hand over her mouth.  They love playing together now and it cracks me up to watch them chase each other around the living room.  Tayden's cry is now HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY!!!  This is really special in the middle of the night.  He loves pointing to everything even sissy.  He seems to say a new word every day.  Just now I looked over and he had the phone to his ear and was having a conversation.  We got the twins a toy piggy bank and some blocks and they have had a blast playing with them.  They will put all of the coins in the pig and then open his tummy to get them all out and start again.  They like to stack the blocks and then knock them down.  They still love reading books and looking at picture cards and will bring them to us so that we can read them over and over again.

My training this week has gone well!  It is so very hard to believe that my summer vacation is over!  I enjoyed every single minute I had at home with the twins and I already miss them during the day, but I know they are in good hands with their daddy. 

We are over the stomach virus and have air conditioning - life is good!!!

Coloring with his new triangular crayons - of course I save the finished product for their baby books.

She loves to draw and write.  They have Magna Doodles and she carries it around with her writing notes.  She is definitely a list maker in training!!!!!!!!